Resources, Strategies and Practices for International Student Success
The resources were compiled as the follow-up on the session "Intercultural strategies for enhancing campus inclusion and student success" at AIEA 2017. Great thanks to all contributors. Please send any additional resources to SharpTalent@interEDGE.org
Strategies & Best Practices
- Enhancing & Assessing Intercultural Learning at Purdue, 2014-2016, Purdue University
- Educational Practices That Foster Intercultural Competence, AACU
- Global Initiatives Intercultural Competence Toolkit, University of Washington, Bothell
- Tools for Assessing Intercultural and Global Competence, University of Michigan
- The UBC Plan: Intercultural Understanding, University of British Columbia
- Bennett, J. (2016).Intersecting Pathways: Global Diversity and Inclusion.
- Hu, D. (2016). How to Develop an Intercultural Competence Program for International Students.
- Diversity & Inclusive Teaching, Vanderbilt University
- Diversity in the Classroom, Center for Teaching and Learning, Yale University
- Inclusive Teaching Strategies, Center for Teaching Excellence, Cornell University
- Racial Equity Tools
- Teaching Tolerance
- Avineri, N. Integrating Students’ Languages & Culturally-Shaped Learning Preferences into Our Teaching
- Hailu, M., Mackey, J., Pan, J., & Arend, B. (2016) Turning Good Intentions into Good Teaching: Five Common Principles for Culturally Responsive Pedagogy
Articles and Reports
- NAFSA. Theory Reflections: Intercultural Competence Framework/Model
- UNESCO. Intercultural Competences Conceptual and Operational Framework
- Andrew, H. (2012). Developing intercultural competence in university staff: Augmenting
internationalisation. Joint AARE APERAInternational Conference, Sydney.
- Bennett, J. (2008). On becoming a global soul: A path to engagement during study abroad. In V.
Savicki(Ed.), Developing Intercultural Competence and Transformation: Theory, research, and application in international education. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 13-31.
- Bennett, J. (2009). Cultivating intercultural competence. In D. K. Deardorff (Ed.), The Sage Handbook of Intercultural Competence. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 121-140.
- Deardorff, D. K., & Hunter, W. (2006). Educating
global readygraduates. International Educator, 15(3), 72-83.
- Deardorff, D. K., & Jones, E. (2012). Intercultural competence: An emerging focus in international higher education. In D. K. Deardorff, H. de Wit, D. Heyl & T. Adams (Eds.), The sage handbook of international higher education. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 283-303.
- Deardorff, D.L. (2006). Identification and assessment of intercultural competence as a student outcome of internationalization. Journal of Studies in International Education, 10(3), 241-266.
- Gomes, C., Berry, M., Alzougool, B., & Chang, S. (2014). Home away from home: International students and their identity-based social networks in Australia. Journal of International Students, 4(1), 2-15.
- Hunter, W., White, G. P., & Godbey, G. C. (2006). What does it mean to be globally competent? Journal of Studies in International Education, 10(3), 267-285.
- Olson, C. L., Evans, R., & Shoenberg, R. F. (2007) At home in the world: Bridging the gap between internationalization and multicultural education. Internationalization higher education in the United States (pp. 1-41). Washington, DC: American Council on Education.
- Berardo, K., & Deardorff, D. (2012) Building cultural competence: Innovative activities and models
- Deardorff, D. (Ed.). (2009). The handbook of intercultural competence.Thousand Oaks, CA. SAGE.
- Deardorff, D.K. (2011). Assessing intercultural competence. New Directions for Institutional Research, 149.
- Deardorff, D.K., & Edwards, K. (2012). Research on intercultural learning of students in service learning. In Clayton, Bringle & Hatchers’s (Ed.), Research on service learning: Conceptual frameworks and assessment (pp. 157-186). Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Dervin, F. & Gross, Z. (Ed.). (2016) Intercultural competence in education: Alternative approaches for different times. Springer
- Peters, A. M., Britton, A., & Blee, H. (2008). Global citizenship education: philosophy,
theoryand pedagogy. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Stearns, P. N. (2008). Educating global citizens in colleges and universities: challenges and opportunities. New York, NY: Routledge.